Cricket

Live Score

Followers

Friday, April 30, 2010

Minnows will be sensational in this T20 WC

WC T20 starting today in Caribbean and this 17 day affair will decide the boss of T20 cricket. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Sri Lanka is strong contender to win this cup and I still stick to it simply because they are balanced side and they have bowlers to whom condition will suit more than anybody else. In WC we will also see the effect of minnows and I tell minnows like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, etc. will  play crucial role in deciding team for semis. The way Zimbabwe defeated Australia and Pakistan in practice matches, I feel they will create sensation in this T20 WC and I am not mentioning this just because of 2 practice matches performance but  the way Zimbabwe defeated West Indies last time in T20 here in Caribbean and won the series. I will not be surprised if Zimbabwe reach to the semis although journey will be tough. Another team which is capable of creating upset is Bangladesh and they have quality players in their ranks for this format and they heavily rely on slow bowlers so conditions are suitable for them. Afghanistan is mostly a unknown team this  WC but they are mentally very tough team and this reveals from their performances in ICC tournament through which they qualified for this T20 WC. I believe more cricket they will play they will become stronger team in World Cricket and if they will get proper infrastructure and support in their country very soon this team will be playing one-day cricket as well with international teams and will compete them in that format as well. Ireland is again a threatening team to play against and they are capable of creating upset although they lost their practice match to Afghanistan. Players who are playing in these small teams have everything to gain and good performance in this tournament will make their life and make them instant superstars so everything to gain for minnows and nothing to lose and that make them deadly dangerous. To me it is difficult to predict semi-finalists for this tournament at this stage because format is short and  suits to all countries so anybody can make it to the semis and we cannot count anybody out of the contention. I surely believe this tournament will not go well for Team India no matter whatever Dhoni or team management say because fatigue and controversies of IPL will affect the performance of Team India.

No comments:

Post a Comment