Test series between India and South Africa ended in tame draw and nothing dramatic happened on the last day of the final test match at Newlands, Capetown. I feel India missed big opportunity of winning the series for the first time in South Africa when they reduced hosts for 98 for 5 but failed to put that final effort and eventually South Africa succeeded in saving the test match with the help of Jacques Kallis and tailenders. But I must mention that, South African captain Smith also missed the opportunity of winning the test match by not declaring on 4th day evening. Had he declared on 4th day evening and put India into bat for atleast 10 overs then I feel India would have been struggled to save this match. Anyways both the team missed the opportunity of winning and I must say it was the big opportunity loss for India rather than South Africa.
Highlights of the test series.
1. India lost badly at Centurion and once again started the series on losing note.
2. India won the test match in Durban which is considered to a one of the fastest pitch of the world.
3. Dhoni's mis-fortune with the toss continues in this series as well, as he lost the toss in Centurion and
Durban. Dhoni also missed the opportunity of winning the series because of wrong tactics.
4. Sehwag struggled badly on this tour as Proteas kept him quite by turning his strength into weakness.
5. Tendulkar completed his 50th test century during the series and go on to score 51st ton as well and
ended with highest runs under his kitty from the Indian side.
6. Zhaeer Khan provided teeth to the luck-lustre Indian bowling with his return in Durban Test.
7. VVS Laxman as usual played crucial role for Team India in Durban Test and played critical innings and
helped India to win test match.
8. Harbhajan Singh is the surprise of the series as he ended with highest wickets tally from Indian side with
9. Raina continued his poor form in this series as well and have to work hard on his technique.
10. Impressed with Chetheswar Pujara as he showed great technique although he didn't score too many
runs but I feel he have it in him to play at International level.
11. First time Team India drew the series in South Africa.
12. First time Team India won in Durban but failed to break jinx of winning the series in South Africa.
13. Ishant Sharma is the big disappointment of the series as he was expected to do well on fast and bouncy
pitches of South Africa.
14. To me Rahul Dravid is not a failure in this series because he played crucial innings in second and third
match and got out on best of the deliveries of the series.
15. Its a great achievement for the team to retain their No.1 ranking and first time not losing the series in
16. Gautam Gambhir played crucial role in this series by scoring 3 half-centuries on crucial times.
South African Highlights:
1. Jacques Kallis score three hundreds in the series and become first South African player to score centuries
in both innings of test match on home soil.
2. Jacques Kallis also named Man of the Match and Man of the Series for being highest scorer among all the
players from both sides.
3. South Africa first time failed to win the series on home soil against India.
4. Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel were proved most lethal bowlers of the series in terms of pace and
pace and wickets.
5. Dale Steyn is the highest wicket-taker of this series with 21 wickets under his kitty.
6. Hashim Amla and AB DeVilliers played crucial role in Proteas victory at Centurion. AB Delvilliers also
scored fastest century of the series and fastest by any South African player.
7. Greame Smith once again became Zaheer's bunny as Zaheer dismissed him twice in the series.
8. From South African side Paul Harris emerged as big disappoinment as he failed to create any pressure
on Team India.
9. Tsotsobe backed his two premier bowlers nicely in last tow test matches after failing to make any impact
in first test match at Centurion.
10. Greame Smith was quite lucky with the toss as he won toss in two test matches out of three.
Overall very good series and this series has proved that Team India can play well on bouncy and seaming wickets and win the match as well. Now focus will be on lone T20 and One-Day Series. Will India continue their good performance?